Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Let's make a deal!

"OK Miss America, here's the deal," the 3 year old says as I sit her in front of her dinner, "You go make macaroni and cheese for me. Bring it to me. And I will sit here and eat it. That's a good deal."

Barely containing my laughter, I respond, "How about this deal... You eat your dinner and if you're still hungry after dinner, you can have macaroni and cheese. Now that's a really good deal?"

I've been a babysitter for the best of them. Been with their family since before she was a concept and her 7 year old sister was her age. I know their temperment quite well by now. This interaction was one of about twelve that it took to complete the meal comprised of hot dogs on a plain bagel (they thought that was really cool) and some fruit.

This 'deal' was one of many that made up the twelve interactions:

-"I've gotta fix my towel" (which requires getting down from the seat to fix the cover on her chair so I have to lift her up again)

-"OH! Look at that tea set" (as she's walking towards it... which requires hoisting back up again.)

-"I want some more of my birthday cake! My birthday is tomorrow! My mom and dad told me!!" (correction... it was last Saturday; however 'Birthday girl' seems to last a little while around here)Apparently there's "no more room" for real food, but tons of room for birthday cake.

-"I need to play with my new game!" (the lifting back onto the chair continues.)

Dinner lasted almost an hour.

They'll say and do any cute little thing to move away from the dinner table. Everything is so important right then, they'll even try to make a deal!

[PS - She really does call me Miss America ;)]

No comments: