Monday, July 6, 2009

Perception is everything.

Recently, I've been told by two people very close to me that I am good at pretty much anything. The presentation of these words from one was most endearing, in the form of playful jealousy that turned into a compliment, "God, does she suck at anything?!" From another, it was a mockery and a most unwelcome comment, "You just know everything, don't you?"

This got me to pondering.

And thinking about this.

I learned at church a few weeks ago that we should take these comments in stride and understand that people who love discipline also love knowledge but people who hate criticism are stupid. Yep, that's what it says in the Bible. Check out Proverbs 12 :)

Anyway, so I've been evaluating these comments, both presented in very different ways, and want to explore what I do and do not know... what I am good at, and what I am not. Perhaps what I am good at is displaying confidence that I can at least try anything, and end up being good at some.

- I am good at cooking... recipes... off the top of my head... whatever the case may be.
- I am not good at singing. Whatsoever.
- I am good at scrapbooking, crafts, and taking care of kids.
- I am not so good at taking great pictures - but I do get some good ones in there.
- I am good at driving defensively. (some people may consider this bad driving... he he!)
- I am good at reading, writing, proofreading,
- I am not good at school (thank God for 24 more days!!)
- I am good at swimming, random knowledge, and knowing the difference between right and wrong.
- I am not good at sports. ANY sports.
- I am good at taking care of people, decorating, and thinking out of the box.

I'm sure I could continue this list of things I do very well and not so great... but the point is, I am bad at some things, I don't know everything, and I'm just a normal person who deserves to better herself.

So fucking what if I'm optimistic and like to try new things. And so what if I am good at some things. I'm not perfect... But, maybe I should be more inspirational... and maybe I should work on improving the way I come off so the perception is such.

No comments: