So... tonight, I had a drink with my roommate. (not going to even TRY to create a pseudonym for him) We went to a local bar-place and had some chips and a beer or so. Some of his co-workers (from the restaurant he works at down the street) happened to come in. He told the server to take care of their first round on him. Not a big deal. We didn't even talk with them.
As we were leaving, we walked past them and he patted both of them on the shoulder and said "I hope you have a good night" and then walked away. I made [the mistake of] a comment about it and said "well, that was rude" because he didn't introduce me.
From where I come from (normal America), you introduce people you're with to people you run in to as a courtesy. It's just the polite thing to do and a great way of networking, etc. Maybe that's just the southern in me - or maybe it's the corporate world in me. Who knows?
We launched into this HUGE blown up conversation about being rude - that he didn't think it was necessary to introduce me and he didn't think I should have said anything about it and blah blah. Then he told me that it hurt his feelings when I picked on him about anything (something about my personality that I can't fix).
My jokes are in jest - no harm, no foul. I'll make fun of your shoes even if I like them secretly. I'm not really making fun of you - I just have nothing else to say and that's what comes to mind.
He made me fully aware this evening that he's "sensitive" and I should be careful what I say to him.
Haha. Right.
All in all, I've come to the conclusion that the city I live in, as wonderful as it may be, is just one big fucked up place. Yep. That's right. Psycho people everywhere.
Maybe I'm just having a bad day.
No comments:
Post a Comment