Thursday, April 24, 2008

Advertising

As you may or may not know, my career is in the marketing field. I happened to end up here by accident but completely love it! So I'm aware of all of these things like how important ad placement is... as well as what's around it.

The other day, I was on my way to work and saw a particular billboard. In my swanky city, these 'rotating' billboards, if you will, have been popping up all over town. It's almost like a giant tv screen that changes ads every 5 or so seconds.

So... driving by... stopped at the light, I get to see more than just the one advertisement as I zoom by. First... a lovely billboard for some assisted recovery place. It reads...

"Addicted? Depressed? We're here to help!" etc etc - you know, with the normal girl looking out of the window solemnly like it's the end of the world or something?

5 seconds later...

"1800 Reposado Tequila" with a picture of the bottle and their cool new "drink me!" campaign.

Hahahaha... does anyone else see the irony? And how horrible it is that those companies paid ALL of that money for THAT ad space (that ad is along a main artery through the city and in a really nice section of town so it HAD to be expensive) just to be shafted and put next to an ad that counters the message you're trying to get across.

Hilarious!

No comments: