It's always been hard... but today was the hardest of them all. Today was the day light was shed on the truth. The truth that, through some form, had been manipulated by the time it got to me. I was told "he was speeding... going way too fast. That's why she didn't see him," I was also told "He didn't know what hit him... there weren't any skid marks."Today, those truths revealed left me in a bed of tears. There WERE skid marks... 17 feet and 11 inches of them. He DID realize what was about to happen. Albeit, it was instantaneous death (or so I was told) he drew his last few breaths in fear of what was about to occur.
As I'd previously placed some of the blame on his actions - speeding on a road with a posted sign of 35 mph - I can no longer make that judgment. Forensics and evidence grant him a top speed of 40 mph with impact at a range of 30 mph or so.
I'm angry. I'm saddened. I'm helpless right now. It's a hurt like no other, and it's torturous.
I wasn't summoned by the court today. I wasn't forced into the self mutilation of hearing the testimonies of two handfuls of witnesses and their recollection of the events that day. Something told me I had to go. I had to be there for my aunt. I had to be there to find out the truth. The factual truth. And what happened that day.
I wish no harm to the person who did this. I actually wish her well. Certainly, she'll take this guilt with her for the rest of her life, but beyond that. Beyond the teary eyes and sobbing testimony, she has to feel some remorse. Enough to apologize to the people she took him from. That's all I ask. And she hasn't yet.
The comical thing of it all... the last time I saw him was at my Halloween Party the weekend before the accident. Every time this case has been brought before the court, it's been the week of Halloween. We should hear the verdict. Tomorrow, October 31. On Halloween.
[to read the full story, click here]
No comments:
Post a Comment