Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Words that inspire dieting

Today has been quite rough. I have been absolutely slammed at work with requests from every different angle and can't keep up. Last night, I decided to get a new whiteboard for my cubicle so I didn't have to have as many sticky notes (brilliant idea, by the way).

I get to work this morning and figure out I don't have the proper 'hanging materials' to put this thing up. It required a trip to the hardware store. I ran by there just before lunch and got a fix for it and decided I'd go across the street to Panera to grab soup and a salad.

Four or Five years ago, I worked at this specific Panera for six months or so. It was one of those "in between" jobs but I knew everyone there and was friends with some of them.

Back to the situation at hand. I order my soup and salad and wait for it at the other end. Thus far, I hadn't seen anyone I knew while I worked there. You have to give your name when you order so they can call it for pickup.

"ERIKA!"

It was ready. She looked at me and smiled and said "oh HEY!! How are you??" It was a large black lady who'd worked there when I worked there - and was still there. I told her I worked down the street, etc. And then... the next words out of her mouth...

"Wow. You've put on some weight."

I had to ask her to repeat herself because I thought I didn't quite hear her right.

"Wow. You've put on some weight," she repeated.

Did she really just say that to me?? I was too stunned to come back with anything intelligent like "well, what's 20 lbs when you're already 250?" or "wow. you've gotten old." - Or it could have been that I'm just not that mean.

My response. "oh, thanks. Have a good day" - and bolted out the door.

Those words were good enough to inspire a new diet. I was just looking at the professional headshot I had taken for work a few days ago and thinking I should watch what I eat a little more carefully. This just confirms it.

Diet, here I come.

No comments: