Monday, October 22, 2007

Observations in the park

As a normal routine, I go rollerblading in my park. It's the way I exercise - it's interesting, I have pink, grey, and black skates, and get to listen to my iPod.

I always go to the same park at around the same time of night (just before dusk - it's cooler then) but the scenery always changes. It's a great people-watching place.

My observations this week:
- There are overwhelming groups of young african american people. They walk stretched out across the roadway, extremely slowly, and don't move so other people can pass. This poses a huge problem [especially for me] because I can't always stop rollerblades as easily as they could move aside. At least they're not other places causing trouble.
- There are some people who smoke while they're taking a stroll in the park. This always baffles me because you can tell they're making an effort to be healthier by just being there - you'd think they'd try to quit smoking too?
- Extremely obese people walking. I haven't seen that much effort from an overweight crowd in, well, forever. Kudos to them.
- There was a group of people handing out chocolate ice cream bars. Another oxymoron perhaps?
- A wedding was taking place on one of the lawns. They hired a full band (we're talking flutes, clarinets, tubas, etc full band) to play. I thought it was quite cute and they obviously wanted their guests to have a good time.
- Two guys smoking pot. Yes, pot. In an open park where, at any time, a police officer could arrest them. Interesting. Complete disrespect. And, of course, it's unavoidable if you can't pass them.

This park is pretty much the only one in the area that's big enough to make my rounds - and also has clear roadways. Tons of debris in the way = a disasterous rollerblading experience.

Some of these things, I'm aggitated by, and others are just observations. It'd be nice if there was a mutual respect. But there's not. So I guess I'll just continue my people watching and keep my opinions to myself!

No comments: