This morning I woke up. Made some surprise pancakes for Michael (which he enjoyed very much so). And then rushed off to an 8AM meeting halfway across the city.
In my rush from his house to my house to get ready and then off to my meeting, I had an epiphany of sorts.
Brief history of my life:
Graduated High School and went to State. Stayed there for a year and a half then transfered to a 2 yr school. Got my degree. All the while nannying and connecting myself to the corporate world (I've always had a job and I've always gone to school). I started working at my company 3 years ago and moved quickly into the Marketing department. Yes, without the proper degree. I have a Business Associate's degree. I've been working on my Marketing Bachelor's back at State but stopped this semester.
Ok. You're up to speed.
This question has been looming in my head since I opted out of school in December. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. I was miserable... working 40 plus hours a week... going to school... managing a long distance relationship (which failed, by the way)... it just wasn't working. Anywho... That's where this idea came from.
Well. Here's the reality. I have two little sisters that are extremely precious and only 7 and 8 years old. I wouldn't be able to leave them here if I tried. I have Michael here. I most definitely couldn't leave him. I have roots here. I have connections here. I'd be an idiot to leave and think I'd be able to come back just as easily. So, for now, I'll kiss my dreams of living in Paris buh-bye... I'll go one day. You just wait!
I'm about to leave the best job in the world to go to school full time for 2 1/2 semesters to get my degree. I know, I know, I'm going to rack up about $30K in debt... as well as take a risk I need to be willing to take. But I'm up for the challenge. Not having the degree is holding me back more than you can imagine. Granted, I have a freaking amazing job at a fabulous company and make more money than most people my age do... but I'm not going to continue to be miserable trying to get this degree.
If I were to continue doing what I'm doing... the degree will be finished in 2011 and would have spent $18K on something that could cost me $7K. Ya see? So I'll start this summer... and go through next spring... and hopefully be done with it.
I'll be able to go wherever I want with my experience and my degree. And be happy :) Hooray!
Michael is going back to school as well. He's going online though. But I definitely need him for support. I told him tonight that he can quiz me before my tests and reward me with smooches when I get the answers right. Sounds good to me!!
So that's what's going to change. No more frivilous spending... and trips out of town whenever I want. I'm selling my car... :( :( :( and driving the old one. I'm just going to have to suck it up for 9 months until I can get what I want.
And then I can do whatever I want! Hooray!
School is not fun, but necessary.
L'école n'est pas amusement, mais nécessaire.
1 comment:
Ohh I hear ya on this one! But I can tell you from experience that if you want something bad enough you'll make it happen eventually. I put the Paris plan on the back burner for a while and when the time was right I made it happen. There is no point coming to Paris and then spend your whole time wanting to be back home. Good for you for making a tough decision!
Post a Comment