Sunday, June 15, 2008

All this for just a snapshot!

My great grandmother lives a pretty sad life at the moment. She's 86? 87? I don't even know... and she is SO ready for Jesus to take her home. She'll tell you so every time you see her. About that, and her toes that hurt, her eyes, her hips, etc etc...

Today, I went to my grandparents for Father's Day (cause I love my grandpa!) and we all had lunch. They live up the street from my great grandma's so they can take care of her - so when I go up there, I try to stop by and see her.

She doesn't do anything all day except sit there and look out the window. She used to quilt but doesn't do that anymore because she says she can't see well enough. She used to have visitors and phone calls but now that she just complains all of the time, no one really wants to talk to her.

She's SO sweet... and I love her so incredibly much. I think it's sad that it's gotten to this point. Really.

Today, my mom and both sisters went to see her. We were looking through a photo album talking about the people in it and who they were - who they belonged to and some of the history behind it all. A nice little change of pace, to say the least.

Before we left, she insisted that she get a picture of all 4 of us because she had one picture left on her camera. The fiasco begins here :)

The light was too bright on this side of the room... and we couldn't stand in front of this window or that one. Then, once we got situated, she couldn't figure out how to work the flash. My mom suggested we go outside and forget about the flash altogether. We step outside and my great grandma doesn't think the spot we're in is right. So we move back towards this tree and that tree... "careful not to step in the ant hill there"... so we move to the other side in front of another tree... but there's the neighbor's house in the background. Then this and that until finally the space is right.

She's way too close to us so she complained that it'll cut off our heads so we should scrunch together. We told her to back up. She finally backs up and has everyone in the picture but then she can't use her right eye, she has to use her left one - then her fingers are in the way....

By this time, we're all CRACKING up because my great grandma couldn't take a picture if her life depended on it. haha. I haven't seen her laugh or smile like that in years. :) It actually made me a bit happy to make her laugh and see her so happy even if it were so brief.

I am dying to see how that picture turns out!!

No comments: