This weekend was quite a good one. Carrie came in from Hawaii to see me on Thursday and I shipped Michael off to see his family in Dallas. We had a FABULOUS time out on Thursday night at a bar here in my city and then packed up to go to Florida for the weekend on Friday. Some of her friends (whom I've also met and hung with a few times) met us there and we did a lot of awesome things. We went to bars and watched Sex and the City at the theater (with mini bottles of wine)... went to the beach, shopping, and hangin out. Overall, we just had a really good time.
We stayed at a friends house (well, a pretty distant friend that I haven't seen in years) who was going to be out of town for two weeks. Friday night, we decided to grab some things from the grocery store to make fajitas for dinner instead of going out. We got back to the house and I started chopping the peppers and onions and chicken (I know, i'm a good friend to make chicken even though I'm vegetarian) and cooking everything.
Apparently, the people that live there don't use the stove all that often, or if they do - they don't clean out the things underneath the eye of the stove and it was kinda caked on. This posed a problem for the cooking I was doing. There was some smoke, which I thought was odd because the things in the pan weren't burning - I was standing over it, stirring. As I lift up the pan, I see a flame UNDERNEATH the cooking eye.
Oh lord.
I pull everything off of the stove and call the girls in. As we're watching this flame grow, we're discussing what we're going to do about it. The flame is unreachable. This isn't my house. This could be devastating.
I grab a dry dish rag and start beating the flame with it. To no avail, the flame is still growing. We try "smothering" it with a lid from a pan but that didn't work either. We're all looking through the cabinets to find a fire extinguisher... about a minute later, we find one. The fire alarm is screaming at this point, we thought for sure the neighbors were on their way over and my friend was going to find out. One of the girls steps back... aims... and shoots the fire extinguisher at the flame - putting it out. (thank God!)
There was white dust all over the place, but thankfully no damage to any part of their house - and unless they somehow find this blog and can connect the dots to me - they're never gonna know. It was pretty scary.
So that was that. Saturday night, Carrie and I brought mini liquer bottles to the bar with us. Buy a soda for $1.50 and put our $1.50 shot in it... and there you go. A $3 drink. Huzzah. I usually drink Captain and Ginger with a little bit of lime (captain morgan rum, ginger ale, lime... delish) but they didn't have mini bottles of captain... so I bought another rum... bacardi gold, I think. Definitely not the same. I only got 2 bottles, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I drank part of a drink and was over it. I was going to leave the other bottle on the shelf for the taking - but a "security" guy came up to me and shook his finger in my face.
I laughed at him and handed him the bottle saying that it was gross anyway. I'm obviously not that stupid if I wanted to keep it, I would have been more stealth. I suppose they usually get the lushes who aren't so bright trying to do all of that. :) Carrie and I got a good laugh and moved on.
There were plenty of other stories from this weekend but those are the most interesting. We got a kick out of bringing the mini bottles of wine into the theater with us for our Sex and the City viewing and were all pretty giggly for the time being.
1 comment:
ooh scary stove incident!!!! I am glad that you had a good time though! :)
Post a Comment